1% LIFE: How To Highlight (HEAR tool)

posted by Bethel Communications | Sep 14, 2021



TRANSCRIPT


Today we explore Psalm 19 using the H.E.A.R. bible study tool, staring with “Highlight.”  Join Angie as she shares her highlight from Psalm 19. 

Hello friends!  This is Angie, and welcome to week one of the 1% Life curriculum.  If those who call Bethel their home church will start with just 1% of each day, each week, each month and year devoted to growing in our relationship with God, the church and the world—the other 99% of our lives will be radically transformed by and for the Gospel! 1% might not sound like much, but if we all do it together, think about the impact that my 1% + your 1% + another person’s 1%, plus on and on it goes adding up to a lot of percent, as together we change our world for Jesus.  

So let’s jump in and get this transformation party started! 

This week we are focusing on the topic of bible engagement, and we are learning to use a bible study tool called HEAR.  The acronym H.E.A.R. stands for Highlight, Explain, Apply, and Respond. The hope is that by using these four steps, you will ultimately hear from God as you study His Word. Today we are focusing on the first step, the H for Highlight, as we examine Psalm 19 together.

When you hear the word highlight, what comes to your mind?  

Some might think about hair highlights, where a strand or spot of hair is dyed a different color than the rest, to stand out. Unless you’re bald, of course. 

If that is you, you might think about sports when you hear the word highlight: Give me the highlights of the game, which would be any stat or play that was especially significant or an interesting detail you’d find on the ESPN Top 10.  

The rest of you might think about a marker used to highlight a passage: usually a fluorescent marker is used to emphasize something important, often for helping one reference the information in the future.

In this case, we aren’t talking about hair, sports, or markers…we are asking you to highlight or consider the most interesting or memorable part of what you read in the scripture passage. Usually we can trust the Holy Spirit to illuminate 1-2 verses for us, where we might be pushed to dig deeper and explore further. 

What stood out to you in the verses we read for today, Psalm 19?  What stopped you in your tracks? What made you say, “Wow. I didn’t know that was there”, or “Wow. I want to learn more about what that verse means.”  

For me, I highlighted verses 1-3 of Psalm 19.

”The heavens declare the glory of God, and the expanse proclaims the work of His hands. Day after day they pour out speech; night after night they communicate knowledge. There is no speech; there are no words; their voice is not heard.”

Sometimes people complain that their relationship with God is a one-way street, where they do all the talking and God never responds. God never speaks, or answers their texts or emails. And yet we read in Psalm 19 that God speaks to His creation day after day after day, pouring out His speech not in words, but by the proclamation that is made by the works of His hands.  

In other words, sometimes communication happens with our eyes and not our mouths. We learned that more than ever when everyone had to wear a mask because of the Covid pandemic. Sometimes the eyes told a story that the mouth behind the mask could not. For me, these first few verses remind me to look around, to appreciate and “see” the beauty and splendor of who and what God has created near me. 

I challenge all of us to be open to how God might ask us to hear as we navigate the H.E.A.R. bible study tool together. In the next few days, you will take the verses you highlighted and dig deeper too, as you seek to explain or understand, apply, and respond to how the Holy Spirit is sharing truth with you.

Let’s pray:
Father, Jesus said in Matthew 7:7, “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” So we ask: would you supernaturally move in our hearts and minds, to reveal what you are saying to us through Psalm 19, and through the 1% Life Curriculum in the days to come? We ask for you to move in us and in Bethel Church as we seek you. We love you and we thank you for loving us so completely, intimately, and wholly. It’s in the name of Jesus Christ, the Savior of all mankind that we pray, Amen.”

Get Directions SUN at 8:30 + 10:30A Contact Us