My son and I were at the laundry mat this weekend. We were sitting in the car waiting for our load to be done and my son said, "It's like the whole world at the same time hit the reset button. It's like everyone was in this stressed out rat race of life, ready to implode and bam, in one fell swoop everything went down and we all had to readjust, but in a good way. Of course everyone panicked at first and looked out for themselves by stocking up but then slowly, people started to realize we were all in this together and they started to treat each other differently, look out for each other, connect to the ones under the same roof, slow down, take a breath, think differently." Yep, that's my boy, always thinking deeply and bringing a great discussion to the table.
We continued to talk about what we are seeing and how we feel this pandemic has provided us a change of direction in how we do things, how it has created a sense of community, how it has slowed us down and brought families back together again. We talked about how people are thinking outside the box in order to communicate and keep ministries and relationships going.
Some of you may have read the letter that was floating around on the internet that was supposably written by Bill Gates. I don't know who wrote it but there were some things in there that I think would be worth sharing and went right along with what Jared and I were discussing this weekend.
- It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. The disease treats us all equally and perhaps we should too.
- It is reminding us that we are all connected and something that affects one person has an effect on another.
- It is reminding us, by inconveniencing us for a short time, that there are people in this world going without all the time.
- It is reminding us of the shortness of life and of what is most important for us to do, which is to help each other, especially those who are compromised.
- It is reminding us of how important our family and home life is and how much we have neglected this.
- It is forcing us back into our houses so we can rebuild them into our home and to strengthen our family unit.
- It has shown us that our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other and to be of benefit to one another.
- It is reminding us that no matter how great we think we are or how great others think we are, a virus can bring our world to a standstill.
- It reminds us of the important lessons that we seem to have forgotten and it is up to us if we will learn them or not.
I have to say, personally I love seeing families on walks together, riding bikes together, coming up with activities to do together. I have to agree that we all needed a reset. Let's continue to love and care for those around us. Reach out and check on those we know may need an extra helping hand. Let's learn from this pandemic and ask God to show us what He would like us to do during this time and what changes may need to be made in our hearts and lives.
Remember, we're all in this together (cue High School Musical song🎶)